Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Mango-Avocado Bruschetta


      Flipping winter, it is a real biotch these days. Mid- January, Holidays behind us, everyone watching their carbs, and nothing put dropping temperatures to keep us company. Uugghhhh, I know. So right around this time, I’ll take anything to bring some warm and summer thoughts to mind. And that’s where this recipe caught me…it read like and looked like a Miami Times headline, combining tropical, tasty and tempting. 
       Really, it was such a refreshing appetizer. The flavors were each so pronounced yet in sync with each other. Even the combination of textures- crunch from the bread, creaminess from the avocado, crispy from the diced vegetables, were just delectable. And then there was the cilantro. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, I hear you're either a hater or lover of this herb. Results- I think I’m leaning towards the latter here. It was so lively, just the perfect pop to each bite. 
     And although we loved this topping over the bruschetta, I definitely think the mixture would be a home-run over grilled chicken or a crispy cheese quesadilla. Both paired with an ice cold Corona or a Salty Margarita. Damn winter, you’ve even got me forfeiting my beloved red wine! 
     So I say, the heck with old man winter. Make this dish, crack open a cold one, put on your flip flops even if you have socks on and jump ahead 5 months. Cheers and enjoy……



Mango-Avocado Bruschetta 
Serves: 8

Ingredients:
4 TBS olive oil, divided 
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 mango, diced
3 TBS red onion, diced
2 TBS fresh lime juice
2 TBS red bell pepper, diced
1 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper
1 small baguette, cut into 12-16 slices


  1. Heat griddle or grill pan over medium heat
  2. Grill or sear avocado for about 2 minutes per side, until charred a bit. Cut into 1/4 in. pieces 

  3. Brush both sides of bread with2 TBS  olive oil (or more depending on your bread size, you want it glistening) and grill or sear each side for about 2-3 minutes each side, until golden and toasted. Put aside
  4. In a medium size deep bowl, mix avocado, mango, red onion, lime juice, red bell pepper, garlic, cilantro with about 2 TBS oil. Season with salt and pepper
  5. Spoon over toast pieces or refrigerate until ready to serve

No comments:

Post a Comment