Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Cinnamon Footballs



          Super Bowl Sunday…….brace yourself for a flood of big appetites, dip recipes and pizza delivery options. It really is the Thanksgiving of sports. Food, food, and maybe another serving of you know what. 
        I won’t complain, it really is a great day to be an American. I like the sport of football to a certain degree, but I for sure like the idea of indulging all day plenty more. I’d say that puts both you and me in the majority. 
        But what I sadly have noticed is that many recipes for Super Bowl rarely involve dessert. Is it because most people conk out after halftime, therefore cutting off the final course? Or are we too full of salty and savory to save room for sweet? Or perhaps it just isn't on the agenda because desserts aren't offered during football afternoons or crazy tailgates. Eh, I don't know. I just know that it is sad. So here is one recipe that will make me and the other sweet-tooth population happy. These cookies are a cross between a sugar cookie and a graham cracker. They are definitely addicting and maybe with a better pastry hand than mine, quite cute for the day. I can’t help the 3 toddlers pulling at my legs, you can blame them for these footballs’ loose laces. Regardless, they don't let the desert table stay empty. And that’s something I can always root for! Enjoy….




Cinnamon Footballs
Makes: about 2 dozen
sightly adapted from: Betty Crocker Cookie Book


Ingredients:
1/2 C packed light brown sugar
1/2 C butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/8 tsp salt
2-3 tsp whole milk
24-30 whole blanched almonds *
white decorating icing (I used store bought, which I recommend)

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter and vanilla until well combined
  3. Stir in flour, cinnamon, salt and milk until dough holds together (if too dry, add an additional tsp milk)
  4. Shape a TBS of dough around each almond to form a football shape
  5. Place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet about 1in apart
  6. Bake 12-14 minutes or until set but not browned 
  7. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on wire rack
  8. When completely cook, use icing to decorate the football stitches 

* Blanched almonds apparently can be found at grocery stores, but I had no luck. All I did was boil a small pot of water, place almonds in boiling water for exactly 1 minute. Drain with cold water in colander. Place on paper towel and let dry. In about 10 minutes or less, rub paper towel over each almond and skin comes right off…..viola-blanched almonds!


No comments:

Post a Comment