Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Escarole, Bacon & White Bean Soup

        


        Week 2 guys! I have already surprised myself as well as my stomach these past 2 weeks. I even broke out my old “blogging light” to help with pictures. Yeah, I know I have much to improve upon in that department. Getting food cooked is hard enough, getting the right photo has been well, uh, almost impossible. Only a fly on the wall could really portray the struggle this is……maybe one day I’ll post a video for your comical enjoyment. 
         Anyway, this recipe…..lip-smacking, bread-dunking, and cold weather perfection. It came together relatively easily while tasting like it simmered all day. I served it over wagon wheels because it was all I had and I wanted a bit heartier for dinner. The Parmesan on top is key as is a chunk of bread or crackers to sop the broth. Next time, I would omit the red pepper flakes only because my son loved it but kept on coughing after each bite. The girls really didn't try it, the “green stuff” put an end to that. My blonde, ironically my pickiest eater, helped make it though. I’ve heard getting kids involved helps them try new foods…..where is this person? I have some good case and point arguments to throw at them. 


         That being said, this is a great soup. One that I will make again for sure. I hope you can say the same too in coming weeks! Stay warm and enjoy! 



White Bean, Bacon & Escarole Soup 
Serves: 4-6


Ingredients:
2 TBS olive oil
3 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced 
1 small sprig fresh rosemary
pinch crush red pepper flakes, optional
1 head escarole, cleaned and coarsely chopped
5 C low sodium chicken broth
2 15oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 C chopped plum tomatoes 
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Parmesan Cheese, to garnish
1 lb small pasta, optional 


  1. Heat 2 TBS oil in large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat
  2. Add bacon and cook until browned, about 5-8 minutes
  3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to glass plate
  4. Add onion to pan/pot and cook until soft and golden, about 10-15 minutes
  5. Add garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes and cook for another 3-5 minutes
  6. Stir in the escarole and cook until just wilted, about 3-5 minutes
  7. Add chicken broth, beans, and tomatoes and bring to simmer
  8. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring a few times
  9. Stir in the bacon, being sure to scrape the bacon grease off the plate and season with salt and pepper
  10. Serve over small pasta or just as is in serving bowls. Drizzle each bowl with a little extra oil and grated Parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment