Thursday, May 8, 2014

Herbilicious Crab Cakes


Herbilicious Crab Cakes

            Crab cakes- my entry into the seafood world. I think I’m like most people who resist all under-the-sea selections until one day, someone makes them try something on the surf-side.  For me, it was a mix of both calamari and crab cakes that brought me over to this side. They both were fried and served with tasty sauce, there wasn’t much for me to dislike. I would venture to say that this is how most people get into seafood- first something mild and fried, then they take baby steps from there.  I can’t imagine going from fried calamari to roasted salmon, can you? Eesh, that sounds like going from a beach walk to a mountain climb!

            Well anyway, the point is we all came to enjoy seafood at some point whether it be from a fryer or perhaps a dare.  As I was born into the seafood world via crab cakes and calamari, I now hold them dearly to my stomach heart.  I will save the calamari talk for another post and continue on good ol’ Mr. CC.

            I love crab cakes, really I do. I’ve been lucky enough to even judge a few crab cake contests during the past few years. I’ve probably had crab cakes from about 30 different chefs and I always go back to enjoying the lumpiest the best. Lumpiness, as in full of chunks and crabbiness.  So therefore, when I go to make them at home I tend to go for recipes that have minimal ingredients and require little mixing.  

            That being said, I recently came across this recipe and gave it a whirl. It looked tasty and fresh and pretty easy. I had the Fios guy coming, risotto to make, and a few zillion loads of laundry to do so for this day, I was cruisin’ for no time losin’. It came together great, the key was letting it set in the fridge. Hubby loved the fresh herbs, he couldn’t get over how “fragrant” they were. The cakes did have fresh cilantro, dill and tarragon so yeah, I guess they did have that going for them. I enjoyed them too and was happy to even save a few to serve on Easter. The family loved them and were all victim to the “name that herb” game. I wasn’t the one prodding here but let’s just say my other half has his questioning down pat. Enjoy…
 

Crab Cakes
Makes: about 8-10 cakes
Source: adapted from Epicurious  

OBJ: TCW be able to continue on her crab cake making quest

Ingredients:
1/4 C mayonnaise
1/4 C minced green onions
2 large egg yolks
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
4 tsp minced fresh dill
4 tsp minced fresh tarragon
4 tsp minced fresh cilantro
1 TBS spicy brown mustard
1 TBS finely grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
2 C panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), divided
2 TBS (or more) butter
2 TBS (or more) canola oil
Lemon slices
Kosher salt

Procedures:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Line baking sheet with waxed paper
2.  Whisk first 10 ingredients in large bowl
3. Mix in crabmeat and 1 cup panko, breaking up crabmeat slightly. Let stand 10 minutes
4.  Place remaining panko on rimmed baking sheet, spreading slightly
5. Form crab mixture into about 8-10 even sized patties (heaping ¼ C)
6. Press both sides of patties into panko. Transfer patties to waxed-paper-lined baking sheet.
7. Cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day
8. Melt 2 tablespoon butter with 2 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat
9. Add crab cakes to skillets and cook until golden on both sides, adding more butter and oil as needed, about 5 minutes total
10. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate or brown paper bag to drain and salt
11. Place pan-fried cakes on baking sheet and cook in oven for about 8-10 minutes or until bubbly and heated through
12. Serve with lemon slices

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment