Monday, January 23, 2012

Ravioli tossed with Broccoli Rabe & Pignolis


                Here is my promise to my freezer: I will dig into you more often and when I find at least one ingredient I want to eat inside you, I will pair it with anything else I have on hand so that I have a dinner to serve. If it turns out delicious I will be thrilled, however if it turns out crap-o-la, I will at least be happy in that I used up something that was taking up space!
                The dish described below was the inspiration for that promise. It was a night when both me and Matt were home late, tired, and well, hungry. Rather than ordering out or making  grilled cheeses, we decided to go “shopping in the freezer.” What turned out was an amazing week-night meal. Since the broccoli rabe cooked with the raviolis and the sauté was 1-2-3, it went from kitchen to plate in under 30 minutes! Yes I know there is already a show based on that premise, but whenever I can accomplish that I have to toot my own horn! Not to mention it was sooo good. I loved the texture the nuts provided while the light broth coated each ravioli just enough. An additional feature I admired was the hearty broccoli rabe when combined with the creamy ricotta filling. It was almost lasagna-like. Honestly, it was a dish that impressed both me and hubby and had us both looking forward to going “shopping” soon again. Enjoy……

Ravioli tossed with Broccoli Rabe & Pignolis
Serves: 2
OBJ: TCW be able to jazz up a bag of frozen ravioli by combining them with some greens, garlic and nuts

Ingredients:
1 bag frozen cheese ravioli
1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and coarsely chopped
3 TBS pignoli nuts, toasted
3 cloves garlic minced
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 TBS unsalted butter, divided
¼ C dry white wine (I use Pinot Grigio, but use what you booze!)
S & P: salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese
Red pepper flakes, optional

Procedures:
1. Boil water for ravioli and cook according to package directions, **add the broccoli rabe into boiling water when ravioli have 4-5 minutes left** Drain when time is up and reserve ½ C pasta water
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, melt ½ TBS butter into oil over medium-low heat
3. Add garlic, a pinch S &P, red pepper flakes and stir. Cook over medium-low heat until garlic begins to soften, about 5-8 minutes
4. Add wine and up the flame to high, bring wine to boil, then lower flame to let simmer. Stir and let simmer for about 2 minutes so that the wine reduces
5. Add the drained broccoli rabe and ravioli to sauté along with ¼ - ½ C reserved water, the remaining ½ TBS butter, and toasted nuts, toss well to combine over medium-low flame
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve


1 comment:

  1. great meal for freezer shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete