Monday, January 2, 2012

Easy Chicken Burritos


                 So I think almost everyone has some sort of instant Spanish rice or New Orleans Style rice in the back of their cabinet. C’mon, it is always on sale and it looks so tempting on the box! Go ahead and look, I’m sure you’ll find it. If not, ask your neighbor, they definitely have it! So once you find the box, you have some endless possibilities. I’m serious; I’ve used the instant rice mixes in my cabinet, or ones I’ve stolen from my mother, to make all sorts of things: stuffed peppers, quick paella, chicken and rice, and these lovely burritos.
                I was feeling kind of icky the other day and rather than craving chicken soup or a bowl of spaghetti & meatballs, I had one picture in my mind: huge burrito oozing with cheese and packed with rice. Now, I do have a place that I tend to frequent when this thought passes me by, but Planet Wings wasn’t going to get my business this day! Especially when I found a rice mix that would do, came across some frozen chicken in the freezer and had a block of cheddar to use up. Alas, even cooking while feeling crummy was worth it once I started to smell what was to come. The rice mixture had a deep, smoky flavor that had me salivating once it began to simmer. I must admit, I think I ate ¼ of rice mixture before I assembled the burritos! Well, once I refrained from filling up before dinner, I rolled up these delicious and quick burritos. The sour cream that I dolloped on with each bite was amazing! It melted from the heat of the rice, then sort of combined with the specks of gooey cheddar making each chew exactly what I wanted. Oh man, it was a good and hearty treat that will make me be sure to stock up on the rice sales each time I see them! Needless to say, I felt much better going to bed that night! Enjoy….


Easy Chicken Burritos
Serves: 2-3
OBJ: TCW be able to satisfy her craving for an over-filled cheesy, ricey, shredded chicken burrito by combining instant rice mix and some chicken found in her freezer

Ingredients:
2 chicken breast, fully cooked and shredded
1 8 ounce box Zatarain’s New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix (Reduced Sodium)
1 medium tomato, diced
1 ½ C extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or sliced thin
S & P: salt and pepper
Sour cream, optional

Procedures:
I. Prepare and cook rice according to package directions, adding in chopped tomato when you are to add the rice and seasoning (the box has you add in chicken here so no worries!)
2. Preheat Panini press
3. Lay out 3 burrito-sized flour tortillas; spread 4 slices or ¼ C shredded cheddar across the middle of each tortilla
4. Spread 4 heaping spoonfuls of rice/chix mixture over each tortilla, top with another 4 slices or ¼ C cheddar, spread one more spoonful of rice/chix mixture over each burrito to lightly cover cheese

Prior to the last spoonful to cover cheese...
5. Folding in the outsides first, roll up your burritos and place on press

6. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until browned
7. Serve with sour cream, chips, and salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment