Thursday, June 20, 2013

Low & Slow Grilled Pizzas



          Notice the title here: Low and Slow. This means low flame and slow to cook. Unfortunately, I don’t dabble in this style of cooking. I don’t know where I got this trait from but nevertheless my default oven temp is 420 and my flame is usually bon fire like. Eh, we all have things to improve on, yes?

            So since I didn’t cook these pizzas as I am recommending to you, my dinner was, well, a bit charred. I quickly learned my lesson and vowed to tame the flame from now on…..as needed J Anyway, I used grilled vegetables because I love them but if you prefer to roast yours, go ahead. The end result will be something that is quick, tasty and quite healthy too.

            In the future, be creative with this…..I go with goat cheese and marinated artichokes for some new flair. Hubby likes prosciutto with arugula and extra sharp provolone while my mom spreads pesto all over these. The beauty is that you really can’t mess up too much. What is the worst that could happen? Hockey puck pizza, soggy crust……eh, nothing that some melted cheese couldn’t fix! Enjoy…

           


Low & Slow Grilled Pizzas
Serves: 2

OBJ: TCW be able to keep the kitchen cool by continuing to grill everything

Ingredients:
2 round flatbreads, or large pocket less pitas
8 slices eggplant, sliced thin and grilled
Zucchini, sliced and grilled
Vidalia onion, sliced thick and grilled
6 mushrooms, sliced
8 slices tomatoes, thinly sliced drained atop paper towels
½ - 1 C shredded mozzarella
¼ C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 TBS olive oil
S & P: salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes, optional

Procedures:
1. Preheat your grill over low flame
2. Cut up the eggplant and zucchini into small quarters or halves. Cut up the onion into small slivers
3. Assemble the pizzas: Top each flatbread with tomatoes then layer the eggplant and zucchini. Top those veggies with onions and mushrooms (try to get into the crevices so your pizza isn’t mile high). Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Drizzle 1 TBS oil over each and season with S & P and red pepper flakes
4. Transfer to grill
5. Grill, covered for 5-10 minutes or until crust is dark brown and cheese has melted.
6. Top with additional Parmesan, slice and serve!

 


1 comment:

  1. I may hire you on a full time basis!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete