Thursday, July 26, 2012

Poppy Seed Popovers with Gruyere


               You know what’s interesting? The fact that I still wear my retainer at night! Haha, just joking…really though what I find so peculiar is that some dishes/sides/snacks etc. can be recognized by more than one name. I find this both fascinating and confusing. Case and point: hoagies and subs, gravy and sauce, pork roll and taylor ham, sprinkles and jimmies…
                Okay, before there is a food war here, I need to defend myself: Yes, I am aware there are differences between some of those examples. Relax, I’m not saying each of those pairs are mirror images, I’m just pointing out that they can be easily confused. Perhaps maybe by only people like me but even so, they get a little dicey.
                Which brings me to this post….Popovers, which I believe can also be called Yorkshire Puddings. This is because a few years back I made Yorkshire Puddings and they were essentially just like the Popovers below. They were minus the cheese and seeds but the concept was the same…. Simple batter that poofs up, is hollow in the middle and light as a feather. Now as a teacher and all, I did some research. It seems that Yorkshire puddings are generally made with the drippings of a roast beef and, fittingly, served with beef. Popovers are basically made of milk, flour and eggs and aren’t exactly tied to any entrée. Did you just learn something? Yes you did, I know it!
                Well, whether you call these Popovers or Yorkshire Puddings, you’re most definitely in luck because they are incredibly delish. Enjoy…



Poppy Seed Popovers with Gruyere  
Makes: 8-10
Adapted from: Bon Appétit

OBJ: TCW be able to replace the buttermilk biscuits she usually serves with roasted chicken

Ingredients:
1 Cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk, room temp
2 large eggs, room temp
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
¾ cup grated Gruyère cheese (about 3 ounces), room temp
1 TBS poppy seeds

Procedures:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, place muffin pans inside to preheat as well
2. Whisk flour and salt in medium bowl to blend
3. Heat milk in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until very warm, about 125°F(about 5 minutes on high flame or until beginning to smoke)
4. Whisk eggs in large bowl to blend
5. Gradually and slowly whisk warm milk into eggs, whisk until this gets very foamy
6. Gradually stir flour mixture into milk mixture just to blend (batter may still be slightly lumpy)
7. Stir in poppy seeds
8. Remove hot muffin pans from oven. Spray pans with nonstick spray. Spoon about ¼  cup batter into each of the cups (3/4 way up sides)
9. Top each cup with 1 ½ tablespoons cheese and use a butter knife to gently stir into tops
10. Bake until puffed and deep brown, about 40 minutes. Remove popovers from pan, serve warm with butter



1 comment:

  1. Anything that is like Yorkshire pudding is great. I know because I've had your Yorkshire Pudding.

    ReplyDelete