Monday, February 13, 2012

Bacon-Apple-Jalapeno Pop 'Ems

            

               To make a long story short, my husband regularly has 2 requests for me in the kitchen. 1- cheese steaks and 2- jalapeno poppers. And I, as the meal-maker, regularly acknowledge his requests and promise to make them at some point….in the future. Well, the “big” game came along, aka Superbowl, and since we decided to stay in for the matchup, I decided to fulfill his requests.
                Now, here is a little secret. Yes, I was planning on making the cheese steaks for him but the popper idea wasn’t thrilling me. I figured he’d be quite content with his cheese steak and maybe some nachos or something else that I enjoy more than poppers. That is until a few weeks ago when I saw this recipe on the Food Network and was basically salivating. The combination of spicy pepper with creamy cream cheese with crunchy apple then salty bacon, omygoodness…...I just had to have it! So, although I love my husband so very much, I wouldn’t have made his 2nd request if it I hadn’t seen this.  
                And boy, were they everything I had hoped for! Spicy, creamy, crunchy, & salty, all in one bite. I honestly couldn’t have been more pleased with the result. I served them right before kickoff and whatta you know, we were way too much into these gems that we missed the first 2 plays! O well, food comes before sports any day for me!  Enjoy……

Bacon-Apple-Jalapeno Pop ‘Ems
Servings: 3-4

OBJ: TCW be able to make one of her husband’s favorite appetizers for the “big” game

Ingredients:
6 ounces light cream cheese, at room temperature
½ large Granny Smith Apple, cored and minced
1 large scallion, roots sliced off, green and white parts minced finely
8 large jalapenos
8 strips bacon, chopped in ½
S & P: salt and pepper
16 toothpicks

Procedures:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment
2. In a large bowl, stir the cream cheese well until smooth. Add the apples, scallion, and a pinch S & P, stir again to combine
3. Wearing plastic gloves if you wish, cut the jalapenos in ½ lengthwise and slice or scoop out the membranes and seeds (FYI- leave some seeds in if you prefer spicier jalapenos)
4. Using a teaspoon, fill each jalapeno half with the cream cheese mixture-fill right to or just above the brim of jalapeno
5. Wrap each stuffed-jalapeno with a bacon half and secure with a toothpick...

6. Place on the baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the bacon has browned and crisped nicely
7. Let sit for a couple minutes and place on platter to serve!












1 comment: