Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sausage & Fennel Sandwiches


             Oh, sandwiches, how I love you so! The thought of fresh bread, juicy meat and some sort of oozy cheese just makes me smile. Maybe it’s the bread & cheese combo that gets me or maybe it’s that you can fit all the food groups in one item. Well whatever it is, I adore them.

            The problem is I usually fall into a food funk with them. Over and over again, I make some sort of chicken sandwich. Chicken with BBQ sauce, chicken with pesto, chicken with provolone……yada yada yada……this chicken thing is getting a bit dated in our home.

            To the rescue, sausage! Now I know slamming sausage between 2 slices isn’t revolutionary, but for this gal it is! I pretty much place sausage in 3 categories: at the boardwalk, in my pasta & on my pizza. Respectively, the pork fits well there. But on my sandwich, hhmmmm......

            BINGO, here is a super sandwich….no more clucking around here! Yes, it may be heavier than your usual chicken variety, but I say it’s worth the calories in flavor, satisfaction and exceptionalityJ Enjoy…

Sausage & Fennel Sandwiches
Makes: 2

OBJ: TCW be able to serve a sandwich with something other than chicken on it!

Ingredients:
2 sausage links, cut into thirds
2 TBS oil
1 head of fennel, thinly sliced
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
S & P (salt and pepper)
1 tsp dried parsley
½ tsp crushed red pepper
2, 4 inch Italian rolls

Procedures:
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Drizzle oil on large rimmed baking sheet
3. Add all ingredients except rolls, toss well
4. Roast for 25- 30 minutes
5. When there is 3 minutes left, add bread to warm in the oven
6. Arrange sandwiches, serve warm

1 comment:

  1. Have sausage in freezer. Never tried fennel, but I'm willing to try new flavors. I love hot sausage - so I think I'll give it a twist and use them. Sandwich sounds great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete