Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza

I’m really not sure what inspired this meal other than the fact that I found Naan bread in my freezer and wanted to use up the Feta cheese I felt compelled to buy a few days ago. I know that is kind of lame but sometimes, after a long day of work or just a long day of whatever, you can’t seem to think of anything to make. When this happens to me, my first instinct is to go “freezer shopping”. If I have luck there, which in this case I did, I then go to my fridge and see what I can pair with my freezer discovery. I must have been having a good day, because after finding the Naan, I eyed up that infamous Feta I just HAD to have, olives, eggplant and bag of spinach in the fridge. Score! Pizza immediately came to mind. What came together was a delicious and flavorful meal that we enjoyed very much so. Olives aren’t on Hubby’s “favorite list” but he was able to pick them off easily and fork em’ over to me! Score again! And lastly, another awesome thing that occurred with this meal was the leftover eggplant mix that I happily ate the next day for lunch! Score once moreJ

Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza
Serves: 2-4
OBJ: TCW will be able to utilize the frozen Naan bread she found in her freezer and be able to create a pizza with nontraditional ingredients

Ingredients:
1 package Naan bread (Contains 2 flatbreads)
1 eggplant, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
2 C fresh spinach or baby spinach
½ tomato, diced (half a large tomato or 1 whole small)
½ C Feta cheese
¼ black olives, roughly chopped
½ tsp dried oregano
½ C extra virgin olive oil
S & P: salt and pepper

Procedures:
1. Lay eggplant slices out on a cooling rack and sprinkle with salt, let “sweat” for 15 minutes. Using a paper towel, dry slices
2. Place olive oil in a small dish and use a pastry brush to lightly brush both sides of eggplant with oil (There will be oil left, it is for later use)
3. Sprinkle one side of eggplant with oregano. Sprinkle both sides with S & P
4. Heat grill over a medium flame or indoor grill to high setting, let grill get hot, about 3-5 minutes
5. Grill eggplant on each side for about 4 minutes, or until they have softened and have “grill marks”. Place aside and let cool

Cooling eggplant......
6. Place pizza stone in oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees
7. Chop eggplant into large chunks and place in a large mixing bowl, add spinach, tomatoes, feta, olives, a generous pinch S and P, and 2 TBS olive oil, toss well
8. Spoon 1 TBS olive oil on each flat bread and spread with back of spoon or pastry brush, distribute spinach/Feta mixture evenly over each flatbread- about 2 Cups on each (You will have some left, it makes a great salad!)

Pre-baked.......
9. Place pizzas on pizza stone or oven rack and back for 10-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and Feta is beginning to melt
10. Remove from oven, slice, and serve!


Lunch......



No comments:

Post a Comment