Thursday, September 29, 2011

Garlic Lover's Pizza

        
                I know it’s true; I make a lot of pizza. I actually tend to make it more than I order it! This probably can’t be said for many Americans. I feel bad for them. Making pizza at home is so much better and in my opinion, healthier for you and your family. Not to mention, it’s kind of fun too! Honestly, I can’t wait to make pizza with my kids one day…one day that is not in the near, um 9 month, future! Haha… Anyway, like I was saying, I make a lot of pizza. This is probably in due part to my adventure on the NJ Star Ledger 's Munchmobile Pizza Patrol, where I ate at several pizzerias numerous times a week  for about 6 months in attempt to name the #1 slice! Check out the link to see who took top honorsJ Now most people think I would be sick of eating slices after that experience. However, I always tell them that it surprisingly deepened my love for this food! I love so many things about it- the crust, sauce, spices, cheese, toppings, etc. No matter how you make it, buy it, or order it, the result is almost always unique. I think that is pretty cool and exciting and it leaves me admiring this dough & cheese creation day in and day out.
                So here is yet another pizza recipe that stemmed from my lack of time to be spending in the kitchen. I let my dough rise all day and when I came home later, I tossed together a quick and quite zesty sauce. I then grabbed the only veggies in my refrigerator and got to work. What came out was delightful! The grated garlic in the sauce was very apparent, which I loved but Hubby mentioned it as a touch “overwhelming”. If you love garlic, go for the 2 cloves, if not, 1 clove will suffice. I normally roast my veggies first but with no time and a grumbling stomach, I just placed them on top and hoped for the best. Well, I learned that although they don’t get as sweet as pre-roasted vegetables, they do retain their texture and brown nicely in just 15 minutes on a pie! All in all, it was an impressive pizza that came together in a snap!
Garlic-Lover’s Veggie Pizza
Serves: 4-6
OBJ: TCW be able to make a pizza without having neither the time nor the ingredients for tomato sauce

Ingredients:
1 frozen pizza dough, thawed and left out covered to rise (2-4 hours)
½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, grated
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil, divided
¼  tsp dried parsley
¼ tsp dried oregano
S & P: salt and pepper
½ C – 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1 zucchini, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
¼ C grated Parmesan cheese
½ small onion, thinly sliced

Procedures:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees, place pizza stone inside to heat up
2. In a medium sized  bowl, mix the tomatoes, 1 TBS oil, grated garlic, parsley, oregano, and a pinch S & P to taste, set aside
3.  Roll out your dough to about the size of your pizza stone, leaving at least a 3 inch border if you have a large stone like myself (mine is 14 x 16)
4. Take out the pizza stone, place on top of oven or cutting board, working quickly- spoon the tomato mixture all over the dough (Use a rubber spatula to make sure you get all the “juice” on your pizza!)
5. Sprinkle the mozzarella over pizza, then spread the zucchini on top of cheese, next layer your onions throughout
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, drizzle with the remaining 1- 2 TBS oil, and top with another pinch S & P
7. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until crust is golden brown on edges and cheese is bubbling
8. Take out the pizza stone and place on cutting board, bring to table, slice and serve!

Oven Cam!......


No comments:

Post a Comment