Thursday, July 25, 2013

Marinated & Grilled Flank Steak



           He is at it again, Grill Master Matt (GMM) is continuing on his BBQing journey. For me, this has been one tasty trip so far!

            This week I picked out a cut of meat I wanted to try and found the marinade recipe below via Pinterest. Through doing this, I also learned there is a difference between Flank and Skirt Steak. Yes, I know, you also thought they were the same. They are not:

Flank: sometimes labeled “London Broil”, lean and wide cut, marinating a must
Skirt: long and ultra-thin cut, cooks quickly, marinating optional

            The cooking time difference was crucial for GMM as he was reading the recipe that used Skirt Steak, not what I bought. He attempted to grill it for the recommended 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare and what we were left with was something that I swore could have moo’ed! While he mumbled a few choice words and grabbed his meat thermometer (his new bf), I wrapped up all the sides to keep warm and let him go out and continue to grill and do his thang….

            About 10-15 minutes later, after checking the internal temp of the steak, he was ready to bring it in. Thank goodness because foil can only do so much to keep stuff warm and well, I’m not going to lie, I was kind of  flippin' hungry!

            What a masterpiece he made us. I loved every forkful from the charred ends to the tender middle cuts. The marinade was key here for depth of flavor. The meat itself, although cooked expertly ;), was basic in nature. The intense spice flavor we had was one to remember. The pineapple juice permeated just enough to offer a little sweetness while the red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce evened everything out. When you’re making the marinade, you might think the amount of dried basil is ridiculous. I say this because I had to reread the recipe to make sure I wasn’t making Basil Flank Steak! Anywho, the amount was right so no worries my friends.

            I highly recommend this recipe to you. I’d say go with either a Flank or Skirt steak too. Watch your cooking times though and be sure to marinade overnight! In other words, grab your meat thermometer and get whisking tonight! Enjoy…


Marinated Flank Steak
Serves: 4
Slightly adapted from The Chew

OBJ: TCW be able to let Grill Master Matt take over dinner

Ingredients:
1   Flank Steak, 2 lb
1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/3 Cup Pineapple Juice
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp Onion Powder
3 TBS dried Basil
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 cloves Garlic, minced

Procedures:
1. Combine everything but the steak in a large bowl using a whisk
2. Add steak and make sure the entire steak is covered. Marinate in refrigerator overnight
3. Preheat grill to medium-high
4. Season the steak generously with salt and fresh ground pepper
5. Grill the steak for 8-10 minutes per side for medium rare/medium. Use a meat thermometer to cook to your desired temperature then remove from grill and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing
6. Slice against the grain and enjoy

 

3 comments:

  1. use to make this all the time for my family. They loved it.
    Since I am definitely not married to a grill master (does not cook anyway, anytime,anyhow), I was the chief griller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making this tonight Gina!!! I think I need to start stalking your recipes more! xoxo

    ReplyDelete