Thursday, June 27, 2013

Blueberry Cobbler with an Almond Crumble Topping


            It’s official: summer has arrived. Not because June 21st has passed or the parkway is now jammed Friday & Sunday evenings or that my hairdo is a “mop on top” bun every day. I know summer is here because I have begun to overbuy produce and am doomed to continue this with each visit to the farmers’ market. You see, for me summer means getting all the best Jersey has to offer. And while this definitely includes the beaches and boardwalks, it undoubtedly translates to damn good fruit and veggies for my household.

            So here is a quick and delicious recipe I served for Fathers’ Day a few weeks back. I originally wanted to serve beer cupcakes but when I saw the price of blueberries at the market and the sparkle on all of them, I bought a few pints. Correction, I bought too many pints. The week following Dads’ Day, I had blueberries in everything from cereal to salad and from on toast to on ice cream. Eh, things could be worse, right?!? 

            With that said, I hope you get out to one of the many farmers’ markets this summer, your belly and wallet will be grateful. So here’s to summer 2013 and loving all our local treats! Enjoy…

 


Blueberry Cobbler with an Almond Crumble Topping
Serves: 6-8
Slightly adapted from: Real Simple

OBJ: TCW be able to put those Jersey blueberries to good use

Ingredients:
3 half-pint containers fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 cups pancake mix (I used Bisquick®)
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
 Whipped cream
Topping:
¼ C crushed almonds
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS brown sugar

Procedures:
1. Preheat oven to 375° F
2. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Add the berries and confectioners’ sugar to the dish and toss
3. In a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, milk, and eggs until no lumps remain
4. Pour the batter over the berries
5. In a small bowl, mix all the topping ingredients well and place all over batter
6. Bake until the crust is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes or serve at room temp.
8. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Very good. I really liked the dish it was served on. I have Wedgewood just like that.
    Shower gift from my Mom.

    ReplyDelete