Thursday, April 19, 2012

Walnut-Topped Apple Oatmeal Quick Bread


                Alright, so you might be wondering if I forgot that it is Spring, not Fall, with this post. And I see your point: walnuts, apples, oatmeal, yes, they scream Autumn to me too. But I must explain, sometimes a recipe comes along that for one, it sounds great, two, you have everything to make it and three, your house is begging to smell like a bakery! Okay, well maybe the third reason was a stretch, but anyway you get my point I’m sure.
                And so here it is, a probably-better-in-Fall, recipe. I tweaked it quite a bit so that my pantry/refrigerator could get somewhat cleaned out. It came together pretty quickly, which makes sense with the title and all, haha. I must be honest here though; I thought it was a bit dry so I really think it needs to be warm when served with a pat of butter for full enjoyment. Or even better, I think warmed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or just some whipped cream would be fab!  Well, like I said, it was tasty, quick, a good user-upper, and great for the aroma of the house! Enjoy.....

Walnut –Topped Apple Oatmeal Quick Bread

Adapted from: Tryityoumightlikeit (Originally from Stonyfield Farm)
Serves: 12
OBJ: TCW be able to make a homemade breakfast bread

Ingredients:

1 6 ounce container  Greek Yogurt, Honey flavored
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
 1 1/3 C All purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced apples (peeled) (1 small apple)
Topping:
¼ c chopped walnuts
1tsp sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
Procedures:

1. Spray an 8in x 4.5in. x 3in. loaf pan with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a small bowl, mix together yogurt and oats and set aside
3. In a large bowl, mix together egg, oil and brown sugar well
4. Add in flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and yogurt mixture, stir together (batter will be lumpy)
5. Fold in apples
6. Pour into greased pan. Mix together walnuts, cinnamon and sugar, sprinkle and press into top
7. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from pan immediately. Serve warm with butterJ

1 comment:

  1. Makes me yearn for a good cup of coffee and a slice of that bread!!

    ReplyDelete