Thursday, November 14, 2013

A New Cheese on the Block



Introducing…..Mielito
            So how many cheeses can you name? Mozz, Cheddar, Feta, Gruyere, Parmesan, Gorgonzola, Ricotta, and I’d say I could do about 5-10 more, but I think that would be it for me. I’m not speaking for all, but I think you’re in the same boat as me. You know your ordinaries, you know your loves, you know your boundaries and I’m sure you know your “no-way Jose” cheeses.

            And well, besides the basic cheeses, I rarely consume anything else. I find this kind of sad since the amount of choices out there in Curdland are endless. Take one walk around the “cheese island” at Wegmans  or stop by your local Italian Market- the varieties will amaze you. That being said, I think we should all resolve this year to try some new cheeses. I know it is only November, but why not kick start 2014 a bit early? I’m not asking you to begin training for a triathlon or give up white flour, I’m telling you to increase your cheese repertoire. I’m in, are you?

            And since I’m the driver of this cheese bandwagon, I have one cheese in mind that you should go out and get. Mielito, that is. Hubby bought this a few weeks back to add to our dinner salads. We are always trying to step up our salad game, but that is another blog post. Anyway, we figured it would be hearty enough to bulk up the greens while salty enough to season them. Well, we got hearty and salty-yes, but we also got creamy and nutty. Needless to say, the cheese was great. I did some googling research and I found out that the cheese is from the Veneto region of Italy and is made from cow’s milk that has a bit of honey added in. Doesn't that make you feel smarter?!?

            So there you have it, a new cheese that we tried and now you have to. Don’t stress about getting it on a salad though, I’d save that for another day- just get the goods, grab some crackers, and keep that treadmill all folded up! Enjoy...


Mixed Greens over Sliced Pears, Roasted Walnuts and Mielito
Serves: 2

OBJ: TCW be able to try a new cheese

Ingredients:
10 thin slices of Mielito Cheese
2 C romaine lettuce, cleaned
2 C baby spinach, cleaned
¼ C roasted walnuts
1 Bartlett pear, sliced
¼ C Craisins
½ croutons
½ C cherry tomatoes, cleaned and halved
¼ C shredded or chopped carrots
S & P- salt and pepper
Honey Balsamic dressing- I recommend Ken’s Reserve

Procedures:
1. Divide the ingredients up into 2 bowls
2. Salt and pepper to taste
3. Add dressing to the amount you prefer

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment