Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Siam Thai


Siam Thai
Colts Neck, NJ

Final Grade: B

            So it has been about a year since Hubby and I settled in and began to call Colts Neck our new hometown. During the past twelve months, we’ve definitely learned a lot: 1. Deer eat everything 2. Weeds grow everywhere 3. Dust settles on anything 4. Restaurants within 5 minutes- next to nothing! Now numbers 1-3 are all things I can deal with, but number 4 has been quite an adjustment. Yes, there are standbys in these parts- Huddy’s, Colts Neck Pizza and a few delis here and there. And of course, we have Delicious Orchards. But if you have gotten to know me over the past few years, I’m sure you know one thing- I like to get my restaurant pants on and get on to trying new spots. Which, if I want to drive 30+ minutes, is easy squeezy. However, when I just want to take a quick ride, grab a tasty bite, and head back home, is anything but easy or squeezy.

            Well, my complaining (for now) stops there as I have just found and tried a great new local place that will keep me (and hopefully you) at bay. Siam Thai, located on scenic Route 34, has been on my radar for a bit of time. A lover of Asian cuisine, I knew it was only a matter of time before I got my chopsticks out and got to indulging.
            Matt and I chose to dine there on a busy Saturday afternoon for us since we knew it would be a quick drive, a satisfying meal, and one that wouldn’t break the bank. If my memory serves me correctly, the location has been host to previous restaurants that obviously had to close. That being said, the layout is vast and tables are placed adequately spaced throughout.  The décor is a bit dim but accents of Thailand do a decent job to enhance the atmosphere while also transporting you from suburbia.
            The food was very good- fresh, spiced, and piping hot from the kitchen. We started with the Golden Shrimp ($7.95). Although on the small side overall, the seafood tucked inside each rice wrapper was perfectly cooked and delectable indeed. For dinner, I went with my favorite Thai dish- Pad Keemaw ($12.95) while Matt opted for the Spicy Fried Rice ($11.95). My dinner was definitely something the kitchen should brag about. The noodles were plentiful and plump, also being dressed just enough to let the veggies keep their bite while still permeating with decent heat from the fresh chili. I added shrimp to my plate and was impressed at both the quantity and quality of the additions I asked for. Matt’s dish was another one of their *-marked dishes, designating that it was going to be very spicy. Although it was hot, it didn’t have the same punch of heat that my dinner had. Luckily, the flavors were abound and he truly enjoyed the fried and fluffy jasmine rice that encompassed the chicken pieces, bell peppers and onions.
 
            We skipped dessert since our objective was to grab a quick dinner after a busy day so we could plop down on the couch ASAP. Needless to say, mission accomplished!

           
            Siam Thai is located at 323 Route 34, Colts Neck, NJ 07722. They are a BYO establishment. More information can be found here.

 

Total score 19/25

Final Grade: B

A: 21-25    B: 16-20    C: 11-15   D: 6-10    F: 0-5

Restaurant Rubric

 
1
2
3
4
5
Food Taste
Bland, boring, overcooked, underdone
Very little flavor, not much aroma
Flavors apparent, basic ability to please palates
Flavor worth discussing, chef’s use of ingredients impressive
Great flavor, taste lingers and leaves diner wanting more
Restaurant service
disrespectful
Inattentive staff, no regard for wait time
Staff average in helpfulness, timing alright, either more/less needed
Staff knowledgeable and attentive to needs without asking, timing very well executed
Remarkable and noteworthy, service so good you forget it is ever an issue elsewhere
Food Presentation
Cover it up please
Sloppy and the eater can tell little thought went into it
Descent presentation: looks alright, not worth a picture but enough to make you hungry
Admirable, it is apparent the chef plated with a consideration for presentation
Presentational talents are here. Looks beautiful and too good to dig in
Prices match quality
Prices are too high for quality
Prices are still too high but not outrageously
Some items are priced accordingly but not all
Most items are priced accordingly
All items are matched accordingly
Would I go back?
Not a chance ever
Nope
Maybe
Looking forward to it
What time should I arrive?!?

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment