So here is an appetizer I created when I had two needs to address. 1- I wanted something salty and fried, 2- I wanted an appetizer for a fancier Friday takeout night for Hubby & I.
I went through my options……chips and salsa- meh……frozen chicken wings- no, it was Lent so no meat…….fried zucchini- nah, I’ll use those tomorrow with pasta. Then it hit me like my 5:15 alarm: wontons! I knew I had them somewhere in the freezer….
After removing about 5 undecipherable items, I found the wrappers.
Uumm…..so now what?!? I thought maybe I would just fry them and eat them fresh from the fryer. Eh, kinda fun but not what I was looking to do. Then I thought I would fry them and create some sort of dip to use them with. Nope, no dip ideas. I meandered to the fridge and looked for some inspiration. What I found was 5 cheeses. I contemplated making a 5-cheese wonton napoleon, but I wasn’t too sure about the goat and cheddar mingling! So I grabbed the one I thought would pack the most flavor into a little bite. Enter the jalapeno cheddar.
And my friends, the rest is deep-fried history….Enjoy…:)
Jalapeno Cheddar Wonton Rolls
OBJ: TCW be able to fry up a meatless treat
10 wonton wrappers
5 slices of jalapeno jack cheddar cheese, cut in half
1 C vegetable oil (more or less though depending on your pot, see below)
Salsa & sour cream, optional for dipping
1. Lay out the 10 wonton wrappers
2. Top each with ½ slice of cheese:
3. Starting at the long side, tightly roll the wrappers leaving a little bit of wrapper to moisten:
4. One at a time, use your finger and water to wet the exposed end. Then finish rolling it up and use a fork to seal the roll:
5. Repeat wetting, rolling and sealing with the remaining wontons
6. Cover and set in fridge while you heat up oil
7. Fill a small to medium size pot with oil so that it is filled at least ½ way up sides
8. Heat oil until it is hot enough to fry. Test it by placing the end of a wooden spoon into oil, when it touches the bottom of the pan, if it is ready, you will see bubbles start to rise.
9. Drop 5 wontons into oil and fry for at least 2-3 minutes, until brown and golden
10. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle with salt. Repeat frying and salting process with remaining 5 wontons
11. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream