Oh the deal of the day! Aka, manager’s special. Or better yet, a great bargain right under your nose! I hope you know what I’m referring to. If you don’t, let me try to explain…What I think it is is some piece of supermarket good that the store has to get rid of asap and so they price it almost ½ off. There are usually a lot of these in the produce aisle but I shy away because old and odd colored fruit/veggies schkeeve me, but there are also some usually in the meat department. And this, my friends, is what I call BINGO! Countless times I’ve bought roast chickens, stir fry mixes, sausage rings, and cutlets at a ridiculously low cost. Now there aren’t always great Ds of the D, so you can’t establish your weekly dinners around them but you can find some awesome eats from time- to- time. So- keep those eyes peeled and scour that meat row!
Hence, this post: Bacon Onion Turkey Burgers. It really should be titled Jazzed Up Turkey Burgers with Browned Onions and Bacon Smothered in Cheddar. I think you see why I shortened it, J But really, this recipe rocks. I honestly hate plain turkey burgers as does my entire family. They remind me of eating a dried up hockey puck, ugh, they put the ggrrrr in gross! However, when you add bacon, onions and cheddar to them, the world just seems brighter! Haha, well at least your dinner doesJ Not to mention, I got the turkey burgers for $1.00!! Anyway, I think you’ll love this recipe, it’s super easy, a little tedious, but oh-so-yummy. I served it with salad but I’d recommend some oven fries if you have them. Burgers and fries sound way better than burgers and salad, duh!
Bacon Onion Turkey Burgers
OBJ: TCW be able to turn a deal of the day into a delicious dinner
1 lb turkey burgers, already formed
1 onion, diced
2 ½ bacon slices, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 TBS fresh parsley, minced or 1 tsp dried
2-3 C baby spinach, cleaned
12-16 thin slices extra sharp cheddar, from block
S & P: salt and pepper
4 fresh Kaiser rolls
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. In a medium sauté pan, heat oil. Once hot, add onions, bacon, parsley, S & P, stir well. Cook over medium flame for about 15-20 minutes or until bacon is browned and onions are light brown and very soft
3. Scrape mixture onto paper towel-lined plate to sop up grease, pat top of mixture with towel too, transfer mixture to mixing bowl
4. Add turkey burger meat, spinach and a pinch more pepper to bowl, use your hand to mix very well. Divide meat mixture into 4 sections and shape each into a patty
5. Place patties onto rimmed baking sheet and bake on bottom shelf of oven for 25 minutes, or until cooked through
6. Remove from oven, place 3-4 slices of cheese over each patty to just about cover each top, place back in oven for 2 minutes for cheese to melt. Also at this time, place rolls in oven to toast for the 2 minutes if desired
7. Remove burgers and rolls from oven, assemble and enjoy!