Monday, February 20, 2012

Rigatoni & Chicken tossed in a Pink Cream Sauce


               Just like you, I crave many things. Big diamonds, Louis Vuitton bags, Caribbean vacations, and well duh, food! Notice food is somewhat general compared to the other items. That’s basically because I would like certain types of jewelry, bags, and trips; yet, on the other hand, I crave so many foods that I can’t narrow it down when making an “I crave” list!
                And since this is a food blog and not a something else blog, I will stick to my food craving topic. Here it goes: pizza, cheese & crackers, peanut butter, fudgy brownies, and without a doubt, pasta…which brings us to today’s post…
                The other day, I saw having an, “I want pasta, I need pasta, what can I throw together tonight to make pasta?” kind of day. The funny thing here is, that if you know me fairly well, you know I make pasta at least 3 times a week. So the fact that I was hooked on the idea of it for way too many hours was kind of surprising. But this time, I had a specific kind in mind. 1- It had to be rigatoni 2- I wanted it to be smothered in a thick tomato sauce 3- cream had to be involved and 4- I was to have it in a bowl. I know the last one is quirky, but when you are craving something, let’s be honest, you visualize it a certain way and “in- a- bowl” is how I was picturing it all day.  
                And below is what came together in a pinch and had me one happy lady. Now I must admit, I used store-bought sauce (Barilla New Recipe Basilico Tomato & Basil) here because I was given a jar as part of a gift basket and I’m not one to waste food. As long as I added wine and seasoned it up a bit, I was fine with using the packaged kind. And honestly, the time it saved and the end result being what it was, I have no regrets!
                So I’m happy to report, I satisfied my craving and even ate it in my bowl! Now on to that bag…..:) Enjoy
               
Rigatoni & Chicken tossed in a Pink Cream Sauce
Serves: 2-3
OBJ: TCW be able to satisfy her craving for a bowl of creamy pasta

Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast or 2 small ones, cut up into 1 inch pieces
½ lb rigatoni
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Cups marinara sauce (homemade or store-bought)
½ C light cream
¼ dry red wine
S &P: salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese
Red pepper flakes, optional

Procedures:
1. Boil a pot of water and cook pasta according to package directions
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat and add chicken. Season chicken with a pinch S, P and red pepper flakes, stir frequently and cook chicken completely. Remove  to plate and cover
3. To the same sauté pan, add marinara sauce, wine, a pinch S &P and red pepper flakes, stir and bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cover for 8-10 minutes on a simmer
3. Add cream, turn the flame to medium and stir well to combine cream into the sauce, it should be a pink color
4. Add chicken and stir again to combine. Add drained pasta and about 2 TBS Parmesan to pan and toss together over medium heat. Once heated through, sprinkle with additional Parmesan, cover, and bring to table with a loaf of crusty bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment