Monday, February 27, 2012

Cauliflower-White Bean Dip


              This dip was something I saw and immediately knew that I wanted to make it. Being that I love hummus and hearty dips in general, you can see why I felt inclined to put this on my, “to-make” list. Luckily, I had everything on hand minus the beans, so as usual; I headed to the store to get groceries for the week and for the blog!
                The result was pretty good! However, since Hubby isn't a bean-eater, I am only going on my taste buds, so I would love your feedback. I tried it warm, cold, on sesame crackers, plain crackers, and pretzels, but I still can't make a final decision. 90% of me thinks it is great, yet 10% not so sure. So like I said, please tell me what you think. I felt that the lemon really came through as did the cauliflower flavor. I had a hard time finding the garlic taste though, so I think next time I’ll up the garlic amount. I also found that it is best served chilled with a basic crostini or simple cracker so that the dip/spread is able to shine. And I definitely agree with the article when it mentions it could be used on a sandwich. I think it would rock on a roasted veggie Panini! In fact, I think I’ll be having those this week since this recipe made A LOT of dip!J So please enjoy and get back me to me!
               
Cauliflower-White Bean Dip
Serves: 10
Adapted from : Everyday Food, Martha Stewart

OBJ: TCW be able to stick to her Monday/Friday Blogging schedule by whipping something tasty up on a late Sunday afternoon

Ingredients:
1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
4 TBS extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
S & P: salt and pepper
1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp lemon zest, plus 1 TBS lemon juice

Procedures:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss cauliflower and garlic with 3 TBS oil, season with S & P. Roast until cauliflower is tender and browned, 25-30 minutes
3. Remove from oven, when garlic is cool enough to handle, remove peel
4. In a food processor, combine cauliflower, garlic, beans, 1 TBS oil, lemon zest and juice, and ¼ C hot water. Process until smooth, season to taste with S & P
5. Transfer to bowl, drizzle with extra oil for serving (To store, refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 3 days) Serve with crackers, crostini, pretzels, carrots, broccoli, celery, etc.

1 comment: