Saturday, October 29, 2011

Jap Chai


                Alright, I think I could be getting the hang of this. Although only my 2nd Asian dish, I am starting to see how this time of cuisine comes together. One word actually comes to mind: QUICK! Quick as in you better have your ingredients diced and ready, quick as in who cares if there are carrots on the floor, we’re woking here, and quick as in whisk, add ingredients, and get outta my way because I need to add the noodles before the sauce thickens too much! Yes, that has been the mayhem taking place in my kitchen during the past 2 weeks! Honestly though, it has been a blast and a terrific learning experience. The mess after we eat is like nothing I’ve ever seen, but the flavors from our bowls have been like nothing I’ve ever created. Not a bad swap in my mind…….
                This dish was recommended to me by my good friend Stephanie. Her recipe, which she found at So Tasty So Yummy, was my starting block. I tweaked it a little here and there because I didn’t have everything she had and I also like a lot of sauce on my dishes, so I added more to that part of recipe. The result was outstanding! The bites were amazingly sweet to start then the spice kicked in and left you in need of a cool drink. The contrast was quite addicting and had me grinning in delight! It is a dish that can be easily adapted to eaters who prefer more mild options or ones that are brave enough to step it up a notch. All in all though, it was another triumph for this novice Asian cookJ 
Jap Chae
Serves: 3-4
Adapted from: Stephanie Cooks

OBJ: TCW be able to strengthen her Asian cooking skills by making a new noodle dish

Ingredients:
7 ounces stir fry rice noodles (1/2 14 ounce box)
2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded
3 tablespoons soy sauce (note: more used later in recipe, see on bottom of list)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce( note: more used later in recipe, see on bottom of list)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 carrots, shredded
1 zucchini, cut into slivers
½ onion, cut into slivers
1 bag frozen Asian medley (cooked to package directions)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
2 tsp rice white vinegar
¼ c almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped


Procedures:1. Prepare noodles according to packaging directions and set aside
2.  Combine 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, ginger, and chili-garlic sauce in a small bowl
3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the soy sauce mix, let heat for 2 minutes. Add chicken and stir, cook until chicken is heated, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan. Add garlic, carrots, zucchini, onion, and frozen vegetables. Sauté for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from pan to plate
5. Place 5 tablespoons of soy sauce, sugar, the 1 tsp of chili-garlic sauce, 2 tsp rice wine vinegar, and the remaining 1 TBS oil to pan. Whisk to combine, keeping heat on medium
6. Add noodles, chicken, and ½ veg. medley, and almonds to pan. Stir to coat and heat through. (Wrap up the remaining vegetables and use in other dishes throughout week!)
7. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment