Friday, October 14, 2011

Apple Peanut Butter Pinwheels


                     So this dessert came about when a secret present arrived at my door this week. Let me explain…..my husband has been reminding me of this “little” present for about 3 weeks now and I have been trying to guess what it could be. A puppy? The Nook? An Ipad? …… No, no, and no he continuously retorted to my outlandish guesses. He reminded me of the present’s “little, no big deal” attribute over and over again. Well, it arrived the other night after a school camping trip (hence the lack of this week’s posts) and I couldn’t believe my eyes! He ordered me special lighting equipment for my blog! He told me how frustrated he was getting with my dull and yellow-tinted pictures that were doing my food an “injustice”. Honestly, this has probably been one of the most thoughtful presents he has ever gotten me; others include my engagement ring and pearlsJ
                Having set up the equipment right away, I had to make something asap to see how much better my pictures could be with it. I went to the store, brainstormed something sweet to blog about that would be oozy, gooey, and ready for its close up! I grabbed some pre-made pie crust, chunky peanut butter, and pie filling and went with my first thought -to make pinwheels. Matt had class that night so I had the whole night to bake, take pics, and then take more pics! It was an exhausting and educational night! Luckily, 2 things occurred…..1- my pictures are ridiculously better and 2 – a delicious dessert is now sitting on my counter!
                As for the recipe, I have to note it was extremely simple and quick. I was a little apprehensive to blog about it though because at first I wasn’t sure the flavors worked as well as I had imagined they would. A twist on apple pie was what I expected but then the peanut butter threw me off, but then I really enjoyed the salty/sweet combo especially with the crusty pastry. I was genuinely confused being that I knew I liked it but I wasn’t sure if it was because A- it was actually good or B- just different and interesting to eat. LOL, I decided to poll some friends and a fellow blogger, Stephanie, and they all concurred- delicious and definitely bloggable! So enjoy……

Apple Peanut Butter Pinwheels
Servings: 8-10
OBJ: TCW be able to practice using her new lighting equipment by making a quick dessert and taking way too many photos of it

Ingredients:
1 prepared pie crust, from a 2-crust package
¼ heaping Cup chunky peanut butter
1 ½ C apple pie filling
1 egg, beaten
2 TBS sugar

Procedures:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, cover a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Roll out dough and place on baking sheet
3. Spread peanut butter all over, leaving about 1-1.5 inch border
4. Spread apple pie filling on top of peanut butter
5. Roll lengthwise tightly (Some pie filling will seep out, no biggie!)
6. Slice into 1 inch “pinwheels” and place face-down on sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the outer pie dough with egg, sprinkle (as best you can) sugar over egg
7. Bake on bottom shelf of oven for 28 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, (when 3-5 minutes remain, rotate sheet in oven for baking evenness)
8. Remove pan to cooling rack, let cool for 10-15 on baking sheet
9. Using a spatula, remove pinwheels from sheet and let cool completely on rack
10. Serve warm with a large glass of milk or cup of coffee/teaJ

No comments:

Post a Comment