Crispy Eggplant & Chicken Sandwiches
OBJ: TCW (the cook will) be able to bake eggplant with a coating that will fool her husband into thinking it was fried
1 medium sized eggplant, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
1 C Italian bread crumbs
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in ½ length wise (not into strips) or 4 chicken breasts pounded thin
4 ciabatta rolls, or any you prefer
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
½ C fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 tomato, sliced thin, placed on paper towels to drain
½ C of your favorite balsamic dressing (I use Ken’s Reserve balsamic with honey)
7 TBS extra virgin olive oil (or about ½ C)
2 tsp of dried parsley
S & P (salt and pepper)
1. Bake and make eggplant and chicken. Preheat oven to 425 F. Place aluminum foil on one baking sheet, rub 1TBS of extra virgin olive oil all over foil
2. Place eggs in shallow dish and whisk with some S & P and a splash of water, place bread crumbs in another shallow dish and mix with some S & P
3. Dip each eggplant slice in egg, drip off excess and then dredge in bread crumbs. Place on foil lined and oiled baking sheet
4. In a small bowl or cup, pour 3TBS olive oil in it and use brush to brush tops of eggplant slices (You don’t’ have to use all the oil, just a little will work)
5. For chicken, place thin pieces in a roasting pan or rimmed baking dish, drizzle with 3TBS of olive oil, sprinkle with S & P and parsley. Mix around to coat, then spread apart
6. Bake chicken and eggplant in oven for about 20-25 minutes, turning the eggplant over after 10 minutes. If eggplant is not brown after 20 minutes, keep in an additional 5 minutes. Chicken will take 25 minutes, but make sure its cooked through (white in middle)
7. Take out of oven, leave oven on
8. Arrange sandwiches: cut rolls in half
9. On bottom piece of bread place fresh mozzarella slices in one layer, then top with 1 piece of chicken.
10. On top of chicken, place tomato slices in one layer, sprinkle with S & P, then place two eggplant slices and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and grated cheese. Repeat layering process with other rolls.
11. Place open-faced sandwiches on the olive oil-lined baking sheet and place in oven for 5-10 minutes, just until cheese starts to ooze.
12. Meanwhile, spread your balsamic dressing on tops of each roll and place on top of sandwiches for additional two minutes in oven after the cheese melted.
13. Take out, cut in ½ and eatJ